Thursday, June 28, 2012

If there was ever any doubt that I'm possibly slightly nerdy, I'm getting ready to totally erase that for you forever.  Ok.  Now you can suck it for reminding me that by saying 'possibly slightly' I really mean 'totally fucking.'  I am.  And I wave the nerd banner proudly.

I've always been a nerd.  I know I've said it eleventy thousand times, but my first crush really was Eddie Munster, one of the only non rock star, rock stars I know.  While other little girls carried around pictures of Andy Gibb and Shaun Cassidy, I carried a Munsters lunchbox.  This crush was followed very shortly by a crush on Peter Criss (I still have that one) and like a true gateway crush, led to something more serious:  a membership in the Kiss Army.  When I was in the third grade.  This, dear friends makes me a rock star nerd.

Of course, loving Peter Criss led me to actually loving music.  That, and my mom bought me a copy of 'Hotter Than Hell' for my birthday when I was around 8 and I learned all the words to every song in two days. She bought me that record and a snazzy little orange record player.  Which was a gateway gift because in the 80's, Evil Christine discovered metal bands and that was the point of no return for me.  Throughout my life, I've counted on music like it was my best friend.  I moved around a shit ton as a kid- I went to 13 different schools before I was 17. Music gave me a way to communicate.  A way to feel less lonely. A happy place and a way to fit in.  This, dear friends makes me a music nerd.

When I was a Senior in high school, I had one of the most amazing teachers in the world for advanced Anatomy and Physiology.  (I know, right?  Advanced!  As if!)  Mr. Byfield was one of my very favorite teachers.  He didn't let me slide.  He made me work.  He made me love science with a passion.  When I talk about science and how amazing and fun it is, my eyes glaze over a little.   This is totally a gateway school subject because, as a result,  I was actually sad when college chemistry was over.  I loved my Microbiology professor so much I hugged her on the last day of class.  I get a little hot and bothered over microscopes and petri dishes.  This makes me a science nerd.  (and also possibly super, duper strange)

Also, I love to read.  If you give me a choice between watching a movie and reading, I'll always choose the book.  My parents used to have to frisk me for books before we ate dinner.  So I would just read the ketchup bottle instead.  (My parents were so mean!)  My favorite book is 'A Wrinkle in Time'- Madeline L'Engle was totally a rock star.  I re-read that book at least once a year. I love words.  I love language.  And that makes me a book nerd.

This year, I discovered bats in my backyard.  Once, in the middle of the day, there were two precious little bats (see what I mean?) on our trampoline.  You guessed it- gateway mammal because I'm in my happy place when the moon is out and I'm watching my bats eat.  I also willingly attract mosquitoes for them to eat so they can have a yummy bat meal.  Mosquitoes leave a bite on me the size of a cantaloupe.  This, naturally makes me a bat nerd. (And seconds the motion regarding me being strange.  I'm hardly surprised)

What I'm tring to say is that no matter who you are or what you do, you're probablya nerd, too.  And you shouldn't sweat that stuff because everyone is nerdy in their own way.  And that's more than ok with me..